JUUL products are designed for adult consumers as an alternative to combustible cigarettes.
The target audience for our marketing is current adult smokers. We tailor our promotional communications and materials to adult smokers through narrow marketing channels to limit potential for unintended exposure among those who are underaged and those who are not currently smoking or vaping.
Marketing plays a role in making adult smokers aware of alternatives to combustible cigarettes. Juul Labs conducts all of its marketing in accordance with a strict set of company guidelines. These guidelines include assuring that our marketing is clear on the following points:
- JUUL products contain nicotine and are intended only for adult smokers of legal purchase age.
- JUUL products are not appropriate or intended for those under age.
- JUUL products are not intended for former smokers or never smokers.
- JUUL products are switching products. JUUL products are not intended to be used as cessation products, for the cure or treatment of nicotine addiction (e.g., smoking cessation), relapse prevention, nor for the relief of nicotine withdrawal symptoms.
- We do not feature images or situations intended for an underage audience.
- Our campaigns depict appropriately-aged individuals.
- We do not use cartoons, caricatures, or other designs aimed at attracting minors.
- We ensure the responsible placement of our product to limit exposure to those under age.
- Paid product sampling complies with all federal and state regulations.
- We support and comply with all federal and state regulations to prevent sales to minors – this includes stringent third-party age verification for online sales.
- Juul Labs does not engage in social media promotions or advertising.
- Currently, the only corporate social media accounts Juul Labs operates are the Juul Labs Twitter account, LinkedIn, and an age-gated YouTube channel for non-promotional purposes only.
- Advertising and/or promotion of JUUL products is strictly prohibited on these accounts.
- Permitted posts are limited to non-promotional communications and would include the following categories: (1) company news (e.g., new employees), (2) press releases on scientific research, (3) public policy updates, and (4) potential product safety notices.
- Juul Labs does not engage in lifestyle influencer marketing on Facebook, Instagram, or similar social media platforms; and Juul Labs contractually prohibits Juul Labs’ commercial partners (e.g. retailers and distributors) from engaging in these practices.
Recognizing that in the U.S. market, more action was required, Juul Labs took the further step of halting all broadcast, print, and digital product advertising.